Monday 22 February 2016

dorian gray - inspired hair charts

After thorough research into Dorian's background, class and through descriptions in the original story and the adapted film version I have created some simple initial designs. I decided to use pencil just to draw out the main features on the head and create the visions I have without thinking about colour so much yet. A recurring theme throughout my designs is facial hair which I think I will defiantly include this in all of my designs as I feel this is a prominent part of the Victorian era in relation to mens hairstyling. All my designs are quite similar as I do have a main idea for the hair already in my head due to the descriptions in the book and also my model's face shape. As without facial hair he would look very young and as I am trying to produced an aged Victorian man the facial hair will be needed to achieve this look. This will mean I have to purchase a fake beard, sideburns or a moustache to later apply to the model. I will also need to learn how to attach this to my model.



I was very inspired by the styles above of popular Victorian male hairstyles, which have the slicked back style i hope to achieve however all the facial hair is that same and I have styled the facial hair on my designs slightly differently. I have also added a more rugged hairstyle which is explained below. 


1. Slick and charming Dorian.

I first wanted to create the image of Dorian in which he is still young and beautiful with a modern hair style for the time period along with large sideburns to reflect the fact that Dorian is very neat, clean and charming. I really like this look as I feel it fits the period in time rather well and will be achievable on my model within the time frame.



2. Ageing neat Dorian.

I didn't really like the idea of a middle parting on my model as I think it will not suit my model's face shape. However I wanted to incorporate every type of hair style possible for my designs as I wanted to see the differences between them all. The moustache represents an older man in their late 40's and the structure, in my opinion, adds an heir of an upper class man. Which I thought would be a good look for the age I was hoping to portray my model. Once Dorian's conscience reflects on his face he ages by 20 - 25 years and started off with his bad behaviour at the age of 20. This means his face and hair would have aged. Meaning he would need a greying and dry/ frazzled texture to his hair.



3. Scruffy, addicted Dorian.

This design was inspired by a portrait that I found on google images. I thought the person in the portrait was quite scruffy and tired looking. Which I thought would be a good portrayal of Dorian's character as he begins the ageing process. His hair grows long, wild and untrimmed giving off the impression of lack of pride in ones appearance. I liked the idea of the full beard but I think I am set on the idea of side burns on my model. This means I will have to purchase some from Charles Fox or another website that sells good quality fake hair. 




Overall I really like all my designs and feel as if the 1st or 3rd design will be what I base my final design on. Maybe incorporating styles from both of the designs to create something that looks young but has aged through time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment